Monday, October 18, 2010

All Things Are Possible

Sunday night I returned home from a Walk to Emmaus (based on the story in Luke 24:13-35) where I was serving on the team. This is a 72 hour (3 day) spiritual renewal weekend which is truly something that words cannot describe. This was my third "walk" including the time I was a participant over five years ago. This time I had the privilege of being a table leader whose role is to facilitate the discussions about the different talks we heard.

Though I got very little sleep and was away from my family, this time away was so worth it. I got to experience God's hand at work. It was as if I got to watch the Holy Spirit at work! (If you have never been on one of these, I HIGHLY recommend it--it is life changing!)

There were over 50 guys together for this weekend sitting at eight tables. On Friday morning we were assigned to our tables. At the Table of Matthew were myself and five other guys, all from totally different backgrounds. Some were young. Some old. Some were quiet. Some loud. Some have been law-abiding citizens. Others had been to prison multiple times or seriously involved in drugs. That morning I looked around at this group and I thought that there was no way that this group would like each other, let alone come together.

Over Saturday afternoon, there was a time when I thought that things were not going well. It seemed that some of the guys were getting on other's nerves. Then throughout the rest of the weekend's events, God did something amazing.

On Sunday morning our table had a time of prayer in which each member thanked God for what He had done in their hearts. Many shared that they were so thankful that God had softened their hearts toward one another and brought us together as a unit. They were so thankful that God had placed them at the Table of Matthew.

Just another reminder that "with God all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26b)

No comments: