Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wise Counsel

At the beginning of the year I began on a new book project that I am very excited about. I am still searching for a title but the overall premise of the book is how to find peace in the midst of chaos. The title I have right now is The Quest for Peace, How to Remain Calm in This Chaotic World (By the way, I am open to title suggestions--please add them in the comments section!).

This summer I finished with the first draft and gave it to several people to get their editorial feedback. I had asked for comments on any theological issues they have, any places where it seemed slow or boring and any places where there wrer grammatical errors or typos. I asked that they get back to me by this past weekend. So, Monday I spent a good portion of my day pouring over the comments and suggestions.

What I found amazing was that very few people had the same corrections when it came to spelling or grammar issues. It seemed that most errors were only found by one person while they were skipped over by the others. When combined, I had quite a few corrections to make and I was so thankful that all five of the readers had provided their input. Even though the book has several more stages to go through, had I only asked a couple of people or, worse yet, had I not asked for any help, this book would have probably contained many errors.

The same holds true in our lives. When faced with a tough decision, it is wise to get other trusted advisers involved.

Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
Proverbs 15:22

No comments: