Monday, October 25, 2010

Listen First


A man enters a cocktail lounge and goes directly to the bartender. "Do you have anything that will cure the hiccups?" he asks. Without a word the bartender slaps him across the face with a wet rag.

"Hey! What's the big idea?" the surprised man shouts.

The bartender smiles and says, "Well, you don't have the hiccups anymore, do you?"

The man replies, "I never did. I wanted something to help my wife who's in the car."

Who do you relate to in this story? Hopefully not the bartender. Unfortunately, I am like the bartender way too often. When someone is talking to me, I have a tendency to jump to conclusions before they are done. I'm especially guilty of this when listening to my wife.

I am trying to discipline myself to not only listen, but to ask clarifying questions before coming to a conclusion or giving an answer. I am working on being more patient and holding my tongue until I have all the facts. How about you?

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.
Proverbs 17:28

No comments: