Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Eat That Frog!


I am someone who loves to check things off his to-do list. I love this so much that I typically search for the easiest, fastest thing I can get done so I can eliminate it from the list. Sometimes this works well, but most of the time it encourages me to avoid doing the really tough thing, even if it is the most important thing I need to do.

I have heard it said, "If the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning is eat a live frog, then nothing worse can happen for the rest of the day!" This is probably true.

Brian Tracy, in his book Eat That Frog! says that your "frog" should be the most difficult item on your things to do list, the one where you're most likely to procrastinate; because, if you eat that first, it'll give you energy and momentum for the rest of the day. But, if you don't...and let him sit there on the plate and stare at you while you do a hundred unimportant things, it can drain your energy and you won't even know it.

So, here's your assignment (and especially mine!): for the next 30 days take a look at your list, circle the frog, and eat that first.

No comments: