Thursday, June 12, 2008

Friendship


A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Proverbs 18:24

Tuesday evening I left for Indianapolis to check out a career option that God has been steering me toward. It is something that complements a lot of the other stuff I have been doing so I was excited about the trip.

I thought it would be helpful to have a friend with me who could offer me wise counsel and could serve as another set of eyes and ears. I asked Bob, who was a teammate of mine at UT. He and I have been friends for a while but our friendship has been rekindled over the past four years or so since he has moved back into town.

Bob is a business owner in Toledo and he is a tremendous leader - in his business, in the community and at home. He is also an incredible husband and father. Though he is shorter than me, I really look up to him.

I know that Bob is extremely busy, not only running a business but also trying to keep up with his four boys and their athletic events. Despite that, Bob said he would accompany me on the trip.

Our trip was very worthwhile and was very helpful to me as we had a great meeting on Wednesday. However, the best part of the trip may have been the three and a half hour drive each way with Bob.

Though he is a year younger than me, I am amazed at his wisdom. I learned much just in our conversation. I consider him a mentor of mine and I count him as a true friend. Thanks Bob, I am very grateful for your sacrificial love and going with me!

As I think about Bob and my other great friends I feel so incredibly blessed. I hope and pray I can be a friend like that to others.

2 comments:

Rick said...

From one blessed friend to another... you are a friend like that to others. ;)

Jim Lange said...

Thanks Rick! Ditto to you!