Thursday, July 17, 2008

Just Do It!

I met with a friend of mine yesterday who is going through some difficult stuff. I challenged him last week to get four things done which we both felt would help move him along toward getting out of the situation he is in. I told him that I wanted to see that he had done these things by the time we got together the following week.

He got two of the four things done but those were big steps. In fact, yesterday morning he said he woke up and didn't feel like doing anything. He felt paralyzed, like he was being sucked into his "pit." He said he just decided to do the thing he needed to do in spite of the way he was feeling.

I met with him immediately after this appointment and he said something pretty revealing. He shared, "Jim, I felt terrible when I got up. But after following through on what I knew was the right thing to do, my entire outlook has changed. I now have hope."

Wow, what a statement! I am very proud of him for stepping out of his comfort zone!

This applies to each and every one of us. We can't let our feelings control us. When we know we need to do something and it is the right thing to do, even if we don't feel like it, we need to follow the advice of Nike and Just Do It!

No comments: