Monday, July 14, 2008

Let Your Yes Be Yes



I have been a Brett Favre fan for a long time. I'm not sure why, but I think I just liked the way he played...gritty, determined, tough and he was always a team player.

Favre retired from the Green Bay Packers earlier this year much to the chagrin of their loyal fans. This past weekend, word was leaked that he wanted to return to the team. This has caused major disruption to the Packers as their up and coming quarterback, Aaron Rodgers is scheduled to be the starter this year. The team wants to show support of Rodgers because he is their future at that position, yet they also don't want to tarnish the legacy that Favre has attained.

There are now a contingent of fans who want Favre back and there are others who see him as a whiner.

Though I have respected Favre his entire career, I happen to be in the latter category. I think what he is doing is very detrimental to the team. It's as if he is saying everything is about Brett Favre.

It's a shame that it has come to this. I hope his reputation isn't tainted by this act of selfishness.

"Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.
Matthew 5:37

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you, Jim. Although I must admit to not beiing a Packer fan (that's Dick's thing), I'm a believer of saying what you mean and meaning what you say. He was a great quarterback, and should be grateful for the career he was blessed with.
Brigitte