Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Waiting

Have you ever been to a restaurant by yourself and had to wait for someone to show up? I have plenty of times and it has sometimes felt awkward, especially when I failed to bring something to do. While everyone else is happily chatting and eating away, I find myself looking over the menu for the 13th time.

Does it make you feel better when your party shows up and gives you the excuse for why they were late? No, me neither.

Feeling this way has made my desire to never be late increase. I know I don’t like it when others are late so I certainly don’t want to cause someone else to feel that way. In addition, I try to not make excuses for my lateness when I am tardy, although I still find myself slipping into excuse mode from time to time.

If you are the excuse making type, you might like these actual excuses told to bosses for being late to work. But do me a favor, please don’t use them!

1. While rowing across the river to work, I got lost in the fog.
2. Someone stole all my daffodils.
3. I had to go audition for American Idol.
4. My ex-husband stole my car so I couldn't drive to work.
5. My route to work was shut down by a presidential motorcade.
6. I have transient amnesia and couldn't remember my job.
7. I was indicted for securities fraud this morning.
8. The line was too long at Starbucks.
9. I was trying to get my gun back from the police.
10. I didn't have money for gas because all of the pawnshops were closed.

No comments: