Monday, September 14, 2009

Hang Loose


On Saturday evening, my wife and I along with some good friends attended the Ohio State vs. USC football game. What a great night it was for football! What an incredible atmosphere it was! The only thing lacking that night was a Buckeye victory (they lost 18-15 when USC scored a touchdown with one minute remaining).

Prior to the game, many were wondering how USC's true freshman quarterback, Matt Barkley would hold up under the pressure of an extremely loud and intimidating environment.

I don't know much about USC's head coach, Pete Carroll, as a person, but I was very impressed with the way he handled his team this night. Before the game I watched through my binoculars as Carroll went from player to player and slapped them five, laughed with them and encouraged them. Then during a critical part of the game, when the stadium was as loud as I have ever heard it, USC called a time-out. As Barkley came off the field to chat with his coach, I watched Carroll laugh with his young player as if to say, "Isn't this fun?"

During a stressful part of a game, most would expect a coach to be serious, not laughing. Most would also expect the same stoic attitude from their leader in a stressful business environment.

Maybe all of us could learn something from Carroll when things are tough. Maybe we need to lighten up a bit and have fun to keep our teams loose.

A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.
Proverbs 15:13

No comments: