Monday, September 07, 2009

Joy of a Child

This past weekend I went with my family and some friends to watch the Ohio State Buckeyes take on the Navy Midshipmen. It was a great day with great friends...and the Buckeyes won, although the game was way more exciting than it needed to be (OSU let a late lead slip away and eked out a win)!

Prior to the game, I was in the restroom with my good friend Tim and his nine-year-old son Ben. Ben was washing his hands and he pulled the lever on the soap dispenser which gave him some foam soap.

Well you would have thought it was Christmas morning. He turned his hand upside down and with a huge smile said, "Look dad!" He then proceeded to jump around the bathroom with his hand upside down trying to get it to leave his hand. Pure joy in action.

I said to Tim, "Wouldn't it be great to have that joy in our life?" Tim said, "I think we are born with it and then we are taught to get rid of it."

I believe Tim is right. I think we are taught by the world to not be too joyful. Sad.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13

No comments: