Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Transformation


Three weeks ago I came home from a meeting to find our basement full of water. Today, I go down in our basement and find an entirely different room. It looks great! While it is not the same as ABC’s Extreme Home Makeover, our basement has been transformed.

It didn’t just transform by itself, it cost my wife and I (and even our kids) something. First, it cost us some money as our insurance didn’t fully cover the damages. Second, it cost us quite a bit of sweat (our effort) and our time in moving stuff, re-attaching baseboards and doors, prepping and painting the walls and moving everything back after the carpet was laid. But, it was worth it!

This morning as I was down there I thought about how our lives are quite similar. They, too, can be transformed. Much the same way as our basement, a transformed life will cost something as well. Consider these possibilities:
· Pride – coming to a point when we realize we cannot do it alone and we need our Heavenly Father
· Pride – we may need to repent and ask someone for forgiveness (even if we’re only partially at fault)
· Consequences – we may have to pay the price for our mistakes
· Effort – it may be hard to turn the other way from our old ways or our old addictions

However difficult, you must know that God is in it with you and that you can do it!

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

No comments: