Friday, September 18, 2009

Living in the Moment

Yesterday, we hosted a seminar entitled, Trusting God in this Economy. Ray Hilbert, the founder of Truth at Work led the session and there were some great points made.

One that really got my attention is that God made our minds in such a way that we cannot think of two opposing thoughts at the same time. For example, it is impossible to be angry with someone and be praying for them at the same time. We can waffle back and forth, but we cannot do both at once.

Along those lines, a great way to live your life is to live in the moment.

Ray shared that we only have three options. We can live in the past, in the future, or in the moment. When we live in past, we can experience guilt. When we live in future, we can experience fear. Living in the present is the only way to truly experience joy and peace.

A great attitude to have is this, “There is nowhere in the world I’d rather be than right here, right now.”

I AM
I was regretting the past and fearing the future.
Suddenly my Lord was speaking.
“My name is I AM.”
He paused. I waited. He continued,
“When you live in the past with its mistakes and regrets, it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not I WAS.
When you live in the future, with its problems and fears, it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not I WILL BE.
When you live in this moment it is not hard. I am here,
My name is I AM.”

2 comments:

Michele Corbett said...

Hi Jim. I was excited to learn about Truth at Work on your site. Looks like good stuff!

And I needed to hear the concept of staying in the moment today! I am going full speed these days.

Thanks! Michele

Jim Lange said...

Michele, thanks for checking in. I echo your comment about going full speed! I don't know many who aren't.

I think all of us (me especially) need to truly get what it means to live in the moment!