Thursday, July 01, 2010

Winning Over Our Enemies


Pictured above is our grand-puppy, Tysen. My oldest daughter Kristin got him last November much to my chagrin. You see, I didn't want a dog in our house. It's not that I'm against them, I grew up with one, but I just didn't want the extra hassle that comes with a puppy. As a result, I haven't always been the most loving "Grampa" to him, at least in the beginning.

However, Tysen has won me over. Every time I have come in the door, he comes running to me with his tail wagging to say "hello." He has done this whether I have recently ignored him or whether I've played with him. No matter my attitude, he is showing his love to me.

Abraham Lincoln once said, "I destroy my enemy by making him my friend." Well, that's exactly what Tysen has done to me in winning me over. He has made me his friend.

Now for the really ironic thing. My daughter is moving out to her own apartment in the next couple of weeks...with Tysen. I'm going to miss not having Kristin here every day and, I can't believe I'm going to say this, I'm going to miss Tysen.

Does this mean we're going to get another dog? Well, I wouldn't go that far...but hopefully we will see Tysen regularly!

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."
Matthew 5:43-44

No comments: