Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sweating The Small Stuff

On Sunday evening I was shutting down my laptop when I noticed that my Microsoft Outlook program was acting funny. I closed it and then re-opened it and I received an error message saying something was not right. As a result, I could not open up the program which contains all my emails and my calendar, etc…

Needless to say, this put a damper on my evening, then my day on Monday.

On Sunday night at our home group we did a study on waiting. We looked at quite a few verses in the book of Psalms that encourage us to wait on the Lord. Then we looked at more verses from the same book where the same author writes about how he is having trouble waiting any more and is wondering where God is.

I have to admit, I am not very good at this waiting thing. I found myself in the category of asking where God is in this and wondering why this happened to me.

However, as the day progressed, I actually found myself asking God what He was trying to teach me through this. Perhaps it was that I have too many plates spinning at one time and maybe I needed to be “disconnected” for a while to show me this really isn’t the end of the world. Anyway, about when I reached a point of not being too concerned about my lack of email, I finally found a tool that helped to fix the problem.

When I treat stuff like this as a bigger deal than it is, I realized I am really trying to gratify the desires of my sinful nature as shown in the verse below. One of these days I hope to stop sweating the truly small stuff! Thanks Lord for the valuable life lesson once again!

Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
(Romans 13:14)

No comments: