Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thankfulness

Last night Robbie, my son, and I got our hair cut. Mary (who has been cutting my hair for years) and I used to work together at a local software company in the late ‘80s. Another coworker of ours at the time just got married this past weekend and Mary was telling me all about it.

Mary said that Mary Anne, the bride, was walking around telling everyone how thankful she was for them being there, for this day, for her new husband, and basically for just being alive. This didn’t surprise me one bit as Mary Anne may be the most optimistic, upbeat person I know. I don’t know anyone happier than Mary Anne – and not just because she is a newlywed – she has always been this way.

Most people who come into contact with her probably think that Mary Anne has led a charmed life and that things go her way all the time and therefore she is happy. However, I guarantee you that Mary Anne doesn’t always have “good” days. I can also promise you that she has had problems. But she chooses everyday to be thankful which helps her to be joyful, optimistic and upbeat. What great characteristics! And you know what…we can choose to be that way too…regardless of our circumstances!

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments: