Monday, December 15, 2008

Bus Stop

This morning I read something in the book of Mark that really got me thinking about my motives for doing what I do. Mark 9:35-37 says:

Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all." He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."

I knew I was selfish, but it really struck me for some reason this morning that I do some things for the wrong reasons. One of the areas I am most selfish in is my "to do" list. I have this desire to always get everything done on it and when the list is too large, it stresses me out. This morning was one of those where I knew I had a lot on my plate so I wanted to get to the office early.

I kissed my son goodbye and left for work in a pretty steady rain. I got about a mile away and I was thinking about my son who was preparing to walk to the bus stop. It started raining more so I turned around and went back home. I told him I wanted to give him a ride to the bus stop.

He was very surprised...and thankful.

Lord, please help me to do this sort of thing more often!

No comments: