Monday, December 01, 2008

Thankfulness In All Circumstances


We are instructed in the Bible to give thanks in all circumstances. This is not something I frequently do well. However, this past weekend was an exception for some reason (perhaps it was because it was Thanksgiving weekend).

Friday night, Connie and I were watching a movie at home with Robbie, our son. All of a sudden, all of our smoke detectors throughout the house started going off. We quickly determined there was not a fire and we disconnected each of them so they would be quiet. They are all hard-wired into our house so this isn't as easy of a task as one might think. We then changed some of the batteries thinking that might be the issue and plugged them all back in. I don't know why, but they were all quiet.

This normally would have frustrated me, but this time I said to Connie, "I am so thankful this happened right now rather than when we were out and the kids were home alone or rather than 3:00 in the morning!" And, I truly was thankful.

The next morning, Robbie and I were headed downtown to the farmer's market to pick up some apples and cider. On the way, I decided to get my car washed. We pulled in, got out of the car and went to pay as my car went through the wash. At the end of the conveyor, I saw one of the workers frantically trying to start my car, to no avail. He then quickly got some help to push my car out of the way.

My battery had died.

However, they brought a car around and jumped it for me without incident. I then took it to a nearby Battery Wholesale who determined that all I needed was a new battery (no alternator). I got that replaced and we were on our way. I told Robbie, "I am so glad that just happened."

He said, "Why is that dad?"

I said, "Had we not gone to the car wash, we would have been stuck downtown in the cold with a dead battery. This worked out great."

I'm not sure what came over me, but I liked my attitude in these situations. If something like this can happen to me, that should give everyone hope.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments: