Friday, July 03, 2009

Freedom Isn't Free


Too much in this great country of ours, we view Independence Day as just another reason to get a day off of work or to go to a party. I think we fail to realize the significance of this day in our country's history--I know I have done this.

I was planning on posting an article which was sent to me about the fate of the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence. The article went on to share the incredible personal cost incurred by each of them including having homes burned down and literally running for their lives. Fortunately, before posting, I snoped it and found that some of what was written in the email was true but some of it was false.

But nevertheless, I think we can all agree that the freedom we enjoy in this country was, and is not free. A heavy price has been paid and we need to be thankful for that and celebrate it.

In much the same way, our personal freedom isn't free either. Jesus paid a heavy price for you and me. We need to be thankful for that as well! (To learn more about this, go here to see a message from my good friend John Beckett).

Have a great and safe weekend!

2 comments:

Pam, Beckett Corp. said...

Your comments, Jim, on the truth of our celebration of freedom, are right on the mark. Thanks for your perspective. Thanks, too, for linking folks to www.lifegreatestquestion.com. John is grateful for your recommendation of the site.

Jim Lange said...

Thank you Pam! Please tell John that it is my pleasure to send people to his site as he shares an AWESOME message there! Blessings to you!