Friday, July 17, 2009

A Gathering of Freakishly Tall People

This past weekend I attended a reunion of basketball players who played for Coach Bob Nichols at The University of Toledo.

I have to tell you that it was a great night. Lots of fun reminiscing and recounting stories, catching up with friends I hadn’t seen in years and just being with people I care about. A fun time!

About midway through the evening, I looked around me. Over to my side was Coach Nichols, the coach with the most wins in Mid American Conference history. He was an icon to me when I was growing up. I always thought he was the smartest basketball coach in the game (I still think that about him).

All around me were great athletes and phenomenal basketball players (plus a lot of really tall people!). Many were members of the 1,000 point club at UT, many led their teams to conference championships and several even played in the NBA. And then there was me.

Even though it has been well over 20 years since I played, I was amazed that I was a part of this group. Really. I don’t see myself as good enough to have competed at the same level with these guys.

Yes, I started my last two years at UT, but I was what you would call a role player. My job was to play good defense and grab rebounds. I certainly didn't have the talent that most had who were in attendance.

It was just another reminder to me of how blessed I am!

No comments: