Monday, July 27, 2009

Talkaholics

We had a great day today. It included several hours at the pool, a great hike at the top of a mountain with lots of laughing and family time. It even included this little guy (see below) coming up to our chalet. Cool stuff...God is good!
However, this morning started out a bit rocky. We were invited to come hear about the resort which we knew was going to be a time share presentation. As a family, we decided to accept their "bribe" of some money off at the resort plus a free breakfast. It might not have been the best decision we have made this trip.

Dawn (not her real name) was assigned to us as our salesperson. She immediately began talking and did not stop for a couple hours. I seriously fought the urge to ask her how she breathed. She talked non-stop. In fact, at one point she said that she didn't care what we thought of her or even what we did for a living. Being a salesperson myself, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. One of the first things you learn in Sales 101 Class is that you need to build rapport by listening to your prospect.

Molly, my 18 year-old daughter summed it up best, however, when she said, "You know what? As painful as that was I just tried to look at this as a learning experience so that I NEVER talk that much!" Well said!

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry.
James 1:19

No comments: