Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Lunch Date

Yesterday I had a great lunch date with my wife, Connie. We had a very tasty meal and some awesome conversation about what God is up to in our lives. It was very enjoyable.

I know, this seems quite unremarkable. But for me this is out of the ordinary. Especially when you look at my calendar and see that I had a lunch date with her last week also!

You see, I'm one of those people who feels like he can't play until he gets his work done. I was this way growing up too. Believe it or not, I would come home from school and finish my homework before going out to play. I know, I know...quite strange.

Once I had my work done, I found that I could play much better. I didn't have anything looming over my head. No deadlines. No pressure.

I have obviously carried this over to my life. On one hand, I believe this can be a positive trait. With me, however, I'm not so sure. I tend to get too caught up in my "to do" list and I allow myself to get stressed when things are not being checked off my list the way I would like. As a result, some relationships may suffer at the hands of my list of "have to dos." As if the world might end if I don't get them done.

I guess the key phrase above is, "the way I would like." As if it's all about me. Pretty selfish.

Well...this is one area where God is dealing with me. So, yes, going to lunch with my bride in the middle of the workday (when I still had stuff to do!) is a big deal--at least for me! And guess what? The world did not come off its axis!

No comments: