Friday, February 23, 2007

Half Full or Half Empty?

Negative people drive me crazy.

I know I can be negative at times but negativity is very draining to me. I guess that is one of the reasons why I have conservative values for the most part - even before I was a Christian. The way I see it, conservatives tend to look at solutions while liberals tend to dwell on the negatives. I know that most liberals want to help others and do what they think is right, but sometimes you gotta say, "What are you thinking?"

Marilyn Barnewall writes about a liberal friend who was supportive of the minimum wage increase:

Well, it's about time someone did something about it," she quipped. "Look how many times Congress has raised its own salary while minimum wage folks haven't had any increase in salary for all those years! Look at what CEOs get paid by comparison. I tell you, it just isn't fair!"

"Well," I asked, "have you been to a restaurant lately?"

"No," she said. "I've been too busy to go out."

"I hope you don't get sticker shock when you see how much the prices have gone up," I said, trying to be gentle. "The restaurant owners have to pay for that minimum wage increase somehow and that means increasing the cost of their food. That means fewer people will eat out than before the increase. And since the wait staff gets most of its income from tips, not wages, that means they will be earning less than they did before the minimum wage base was raised. It probably means some non-essential kitchen jobs will be lost, too..."
To read the rest, go here. Way to go Marilyn!

No comments: