Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Lessons Learned from a Garbage Disposal


A couple of weeks ago I turned on our garbage disposal and my son immediately said something to me so I shut it off to listen to him. As soon as he was done, I flipped the switch and nothing happened.

It was just one of several things that had broken recently and I didn't want to deal with this. My wife was away on a mission trip to Pass Christian, MS to rebuild some houses that were destroyed during Hurricane Katrina so I was playing "Mr. Mom." But I knew this needed to be fixed.

After checking to make sure the circuit breaker was OK and pressing the reset button a few hundred times, I called my father to see if he had any other "quick fix" advice. Other than saying he would help me to install a new one he didn't have any new information for me.

I trudged to Home Depot, purchased a new one and came home to install it with my dad. After about 50 minutes of work it was installed. I was very proud...until we turned it on and nothing happened!

After looking at each other, we decided to take the switch plate off the wall and we discovered that one of the wires had totally broken off where it connected to the switch. We reconnected it and it worked great.

So now I have a brand new disposal when I didn't even need one - so I've got that goin' for me.

I thought about how this relates to my life at work and realized that I oftentimes race through things at work and make certain assumptions just so that I can get things done, rather than patiently planning it out and doing it the right way. We are commanded to do things to the best of our ability, as if God is our Boss, which He is! (Col. 3:23)

This is something we all can learn from!

No comments: