Monday, February 19, 2007

Motive

At my church, we just wrapped up an amazing series titled, The Star, the Cross and the Crescent. Yesterday, Afshin Ziafat shared his amazing story of finding faith in Jesus Christ while being raised by prominent Muslim parents. Last week, Judy Reamer shared how she found Christ while living in a Jewish home - also an incredible testimony!

I found it amazing how these two stories had many similarities. The other thing that struck me was one of the major differences between the beliefs of Christians and those of other faiths. This is not something new, but it hit me in a fresh way this past weekend.

Most religions promote "being a good person" and "doing good things." However, Christianity is the only one that promotes doing these things out of love.
Showing love to that person in your office who just drives you crazy is done:

  • If you are Jewish - Because it is part of the "law"
  • If you are Muslim - Because it is part of the "law"
  • If you are a Christian - Because of our love of Jesus Christ
I don't know about you, but when I know the reason for a rule or a command, I am much more willing to obey it. John 14:15 says, "If you love me, you will obey what I command." I can't think of a better reason!

No comments: