Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Humility And Hard Work

I'm a golf fan and I missed it. I was at a cookout on Sunday afternoon and I was unable to see the improbable. Tiger Woods lost for the first time when leading in a PGA major heading into the final round.

While I was watching earlier in the day, the announcers were all but giving Tiger the Wanamaker Trophy (which goes to the PGA Champion). After all, in 14 previous majors, Tiger had the lead heading into Sunday. And in all 14 of those opportunities, he was the champion.

However, little-known, 37-year-old Y.E. Yang had a different script.

Had I been watching, I probably would not have been rooting for Yang, simply because I would be rooting for someone from the U.S. However, after what I have read, I have determined that I really like this guy.

Consider this:
  • He is the first Asian born male to win a major
  • He was ranked 110th in the world
  • He didn't begin playing golf until he was 19 years old
  • Because he could not afford lessons or greens fees, when beginning to play, in order to hit balls on the driving range, he agreed to pick up balls as a "trainee"
  • He calls himself "just an average Joe"
Humility and hard work, a pretty good combination!

No comments: